When Your Toilet Overflows...And What to do About It.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is always here to help no matter the situation! 662-494-7733.
Sewer damage in Amory, MS can be problematic, and quickly getting the situation under control is often imperative. You should know what can cause a flooded toilet and what you should do after it occurs to quickly clean up and restore your home to its natural state.
Understanding Why Toilet Overflow Occurs
Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon issue in homes. However, when you know what the potential causes are, it puts you in a position to take better preventative measures. The following may cause toilet overflow in your home:
• A drain line becomes clogged.
• The septic field is not percolating.
• Sewer damage occurs somewhere in the system’s lines due to issues such as tree roots or foreign objects causing a clog.
• A low flow toilet is not able to handle the demands of your household.
• The trap between the drain line and the toilet bowl becomes blocked.
Cleaning Up Toilet Overflow
The first step is to get rid of any water that may have accumulated in the affected space. Once this is gone, use low-suds soap and warm water to thoroughly clean all elements of the space. Once this is done, use a disinfectant and go over all of the surfaces you have cleaned to reduce any lingering contaminants and impurities.
Once you complete the cleanup process, make sure that you are taking steps to prevent this problem from recurring. Be mindful of how much toilet paper you are using, never flush feminine hygiene products and make sure that small objects do not accidentally get into your toilet and flushed down.
With this information about toilet overflow, you can be better prepared to deal with this type of situation. Should you experience sewer damage, it is generally a good idea to reach out to a sewage company to ensure that the restoration process is done safely and correctly.
Commercial Water Damage - When Pipes Freeze
No job is too big or too small for SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point. Call us today at 662-494-7733!
We experienced terrible winter weather earlier this year. There are things you can do to help prepare for this type of weather. When the temperatures go below freezing level, your property is at risk for frozen pipes, which can create a major disaster in your home or business.
- Know where your water shut off is located, in case of a frozen water pipe burst.
- Insulate exposed pipes in your home or business, especially if they are in unheated rooms.
- Open bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors during cold spells to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- During extremely cold weather, keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets. Running water is less likely to freeze.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets and open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it completely drains and the inner valve is shut off.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night.
- If you plan on being away from your property for an extended period of time, leave the heat on and set the thermostat to at least 55°F.
Discovered Frozen Pipe
- First sign of freezing is reduced water flow from a faucet.
- Keep the faucet open when treating frozen pipes.
- Apply heat to the frozen sections using a heating pad, hair drier, or another safe heat source. Do not use an open flame device.
- Check additional pipes and faucets for freezing.
When a Pipe Bursts
- Shut off the water at the main valve.
- Call your local restoration professionals, SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point.
A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. If winter weather causes water damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point. We are available 24/7/365 and are always here to help!
Your Business & Indoor Air Quality
Have you gotten your commercial ducts cleaned lately? Call SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point today. We are always here to help!
Sick Building Syndrome
In the 1970s, sick building syndrome became apparent as groups of people displayed similar symptoms of having spent extended periods of time in buildings with poor air quality. Good judgment and immediate attention can correct the situation and save you money in the event of litigation. People most at risk include:
- Infants and children
- Pregnant women
- People with compromised respiratory systems or asthma/allergies.
- People with weakened immune systems
While molds are found naturally in the environment, an overabundance inside buildings is undesirable; some people can become ill. Experts disagree about the more controversial details of mold, but they all agree that if you have excessive mold, it needs to be removed.
Control Moisture and Reduce Mold
If you see mold, act within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water.
- Remove any standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used.
- Replace wet or visibly moldy insulation materials.
Proper Maintenance Saves Money
Estimates made by the World Health Organization say that poor indoor air quality costs $60 billion in employee sick leave and lost production.
Part of your responsibility to the tenants, workers and students who work and play in your buildings includes proper maintenance and prompt response to any situation that could cause illness or health concerns. SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is available when it matters.
Clean Sweep for Ducts
When addressing air quality, inspecting the duct work is SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point's first order of business. Dirty ducts can work to circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout the building.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point uses a proven Portable Ventilation & Air Duct Cleaning System to examine duct work and make a clean sweep removing years of dust and grime.
The SERVPRO Difference
- Reduce potential for mold growth
- Remediate bacteria, fungi, and mold
- Restore peak energy efficiency
- Eliminate offensive odors
Call SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point today at 662-494-7733.
Water Damage - The Equipment Best for the Job
This is a dehumidifier that we use on nearly all water damages.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point understands that using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERPVRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point will answer your call with fast action, exceptional equipment, and trained, uniformed personnel. Certainly, the right tool for the job is vital to timely mitigation, but perhaps more important, these water damage professionals thoroughly understand how to dry a structure and person property effectively.
In a previous blog, we've talked about Psychrometrics, Detection Equipment, Extraction Equipment, and Air Moving Equipment. Today I would like to explain in detail how different Dehumidification Equipment and Deodorization Equipment.
Dehumidification Equipment: By extracting water vapor from the air, dehumidifiers lower the relative humidity , which in turn increases the rate of evaporation. In a water damaged structure, dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and then discharge dry, warm air. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials. SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point uses two types of dehumidifiers:
- Refrigerant Dehumidifiers - work similarly to air conditioners
- Desiccant Dehumidifiers - use chemicals, called desiccants, that readily absorb moisture from the air.
Deodorization Equipment: -
- Ultra Low Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing fine mist that easily penetrates sites where odor-causing residues accumulate. The device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other difficult-to-access areas.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products in large volume, dense fog suitable for confined areas. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that pair with and neutralize odor-causing particles.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is available 24/7. Please call us today for all of your water and fire damage needs at 662-494-7733.
Water Damage from Clean Water
The faster you call us, the less damage you will have! Call SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point today at 662-494-7733.
When you have a "Clean Water" water damage that is considered a Category 1 Water Damage. That water does not pose substantial threat to humans. Examples are broken water supply lines, tub or sink overflows or appliance malfunctions that involves water supply lines.
If you have a Category 1 or a "Clean Water" Water Damage at your home or business here are some tips to follow:
- Shut off the water source of water if possible, or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet ares of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wood clothes pins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water possibly causing electrical shock or damaging the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fans if ceiling is wet, or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is available 24 hours 7 days a week. Please call us today if you have a water damage at your home or business at 662-494-7733.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point also offers the following services:
- Fire, Smoke, and Soot
- Water Removal & Dehumidification
- Mold Mitigation & Remediation
- Catastrophic Storm Response
- Move Outs & Contents Restoration
- Electronics & Equipment
- Document Drying
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Ducts & HVAC Cleaning
- Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Cleaning
- Carpet, Upholstery, Drapes & Blinds Cleaning
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors Cleaning
- Odor Identification
When Fire Damage Affects You
Fires can cause much damage to your home or business...but SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point can make it "Like it never even happened."
What is Restorable:
Determining exactly what can be saved until everything is dry is usually impossible. We will set a follow-up date so we can monitor the drying process. In addition, the restoration process will be scheduled when the drying is complete. The can include floor preparation, tack strip replacements, carpet and pad installation, seaming, carpet cleaning and restoring, and furniture and contents cleaning. A scope of services will be provided.
Pre-Existing or Preloss Conditions:
During the course of cleaning, it is likely we will remove day-to-day soiling, which existed prior to your loss. We are happy to do so. If, however, the removal of pre-existing soil requires significant extra effort, our crews will be instructed to move on to the next item. Pre-existing damage, including visible mold growth, will also be noted.
In the course of our survey and cleaning, we will sometimes be required to open doors, cupboards, etc. to qualify and/or restore the damage. If any of these areas contain personal items you would prefer to relocate before we start work, please let us know.
Although our supervisors inspect all work, you should accompany the supervisor on the final walk-through and bring any overlooked items or concerns to the supervisor's attention.
Insurance Adjusters or Agents:
We are neither insurance agents nor adjusters. We cannot authorize anything to be replaced, repaired or painted. Our job is to preserve and protect, stop further damage from occurring and restore damaged items to their prior condition when possible.
Please call SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point 24/7 in any Fire or Water Emergency at 662-494-7733.
What to do Before, During, & After a Fire
Fires can be a very dangerous and emotional thing...please let us at SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point help you. We are always here to help!
Home Fire Preparedness: There are actually ways you can prepare your home for a fire. Here a few tips:
- Install the right number of smoke alarms. Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area, and inside each sleeping room.
- Test your smoke alarms once a month. Change your batteries twice a year. We suggest changing them each time the time changes.
- Have a fire extinguisher in your home, especially in your kitchen.
- Teach your children what smoke alarms sound like and what that sound means.
- Ensure all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell "FIRE" to alert everyone that they must get out. Maybe do this when you put new batteries in the smoke alarms.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 911.
- Teach household members how to STOP, DROP, and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
What To Do if a Fire Starts:
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher.
- Remember to GET OUT, STAY OUT, and CALL 911.
- Yell "FIRE" several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to touch.
- If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Close doors behind you.
Recovering After a Fire:
- Call 911. Give first aid where needed; cool and cover burns to reduce the chance of further injury or infection.
- Let friends and family know you are safe.
- People and animals that are seriously injured or burned should be transported to professional medical or veterinary help immediately.
- Stay out of fire-damaged home until local fire authorities say it is safe to re-enter.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point can also help you get your home and belongings back together after a fire. Call us today at 662-494-7733.
Commercial Post Construction Cleanup & Restoration
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point helps ensure your finished projects always look their best.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point now specializes in post construction cleanup and restoration. Structural integrity, materials, labor, safety, customer satisfaction and deadlines - the list goes on and on when building a commercial facility. The bottom line, however, is you are responsible for getting the doors doors open on time.
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point can help you meet your deadlines by providing thorough post-construction services in a timely manner. These services include:
- Post-Construction Cleaning
- Dehumidification and Drying
- Emergency Response Restoration and Cleanup Services
Post-construction cleaning takes place once the floors are down and the dry wall is up. The debris and dirt needs to be removed in order to lay down carpet, paint, and decorate. SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point can provide the debris removal services to prepare the building for interior design.
During the construction phase, a building can trap moisture. Excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think one of your projects may have a moisture issue, rely on SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point to provide the help you need eliminating moisture and preventing the potential for mold growth.
If you want the facility to look its best when the doors open, SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point provides cleaning services to give the building that extra shine. Services include:
- Carpet, resilient, and non-resilient floor prep and finish
- Ceiling, walls, and fixture cleaning
Rely on SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Piont to help ensure your post-construction cleanup gets done as quickly as possible.
Call us today at 662-494-7733.
It's (Spring Cleaning) Time!
SERPVRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point loves to clean! Call us for all of your Spring Cleaning needs! 662-494-7733.
Make doormats welcoming!
Shake 'em, wash 'em, swat 'em with a broom. Give them the toughest cleaning they can take. They’re your front line against tracked-in dirt—so keep them clean enough to function at peak efficiency.
Clean carpets and upholstery
Fabrics that have absorbed a winter’s worth of dirt, body oil, and germs will need a deep cleaning to get them ready for another year of wear—and for that close inspection by your relaxing guests. When you’re shampooing carpets or cleaning upholstery with a rented carpet cleaner, practice first in an unobtrusive area to make sure you have the knack of the machine and that the treatment won’t discolor fabrics or cause dyes to run. Move furniture just slightly—not out of the room or against the wall, as the old rules dictated—and place the legs of each piece back on top of small wax paper squares after shampooing. The wax paper will protect your carpet and keep the furniture legs from getting wet as the carpet dries. Open the windows to speed the drying process, which can take a day or more. If you’re not the furniture-shifting and machine-renting type, use a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner.
Wash walls, cabinets, baseboards, and woodwork
The walls may not look as if they need a bath—dust and soot fall to the floor, right? Most of it does, but just enough clings to vertical surfaces to warrant a seasonal or pre-holiday bath. Use a sponge and hand dishwashing detergent, washing the surface in sections. A sponge mop makes it easier to reach higher spots. Use two buckets: one for dishwashing detergent solution and another for wringing your sponge. Dry the walls and woodwork with a clean cloth.
Clean ceiling fixtures
Remove dust and dirt from ceiling fans and air-conditioner vents with a cloth and a vacuum with a soft nozzle attachment.
Check your coils
You should clean the refrigerator’s condenser coil, usually found behind the toe grille, with a long-handled bottle brush and a vacuum cleaner with an attachment hose to remove dust and lint. Built-up dust can shut down the unit by causing it to overheat. To remove dust from coils attached to the hard-to-reach back side of the fridge, carefully pull the refrigerator out several feet (newer models roll on casters) and vacuum thoroughly; finish by sweeping or vacuuming the floor area you’ve revealed. Expect to rediscover coins, bottle caps, and twist ties that you and the cat knocked over the past year.
When Disaster Strikes, You Can Be Ruined or You Can Be READY!
50% of businesses may never reopen after suffering a disaster. SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is always here to help!
SERVPRO of Amory/Aberdeen & West Point is committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business interruptions and recovery costs. SERVPRO can provide:
- Over 40 years of experience as leading fire and water cleanup and restoration providers.
- A SERVPRO franchise nearby - more than 1,500 franchises servicing 48 states.
- More locations for faster responses.
- Quick response time to help ensure the damage is contained and the restoration process begins promptly.
- Large loss capabilities - no fire or water damage is too big.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event you business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your business, you help to minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Know what to do, who to call and what to expect in advance is helpful in receiving timely mitigation and can help minimize the affects water and fire damage can have on your business.